26 September 2013

My Truest Friend, My Truest Enemy

Lately, I have been thinking about how the "I" that is me can be viewed as a coupled yet separate entity, a sort of omnipresent observer-actor This "self-not-my-self" is that little voice in your head that you talk to, who watches your life as you live it, who is like a parental figure supporting or chastising you. My development as an individual is tightly linked to this "other self" and who he himself is. An important characteristic is his role as my truest friend and my truest enemy. In one swift wave of the hand I can tear myself down to rubble, become unforgiving judge, jury and executioner. But then oppositely, and yet equally, I am my own die-hard supporter; I am the rock upon which I stand when the waves come in to batter and bruise. Through all the triumphs and defeats, it is me who will always be there, for the better and for the worse. I both love and hate (in the purest sense of the words) this "self-not-my-self"; but what's more important is that it is who I am and who I will always be. I could not be myself if I were not...my self. I have been with myself at the beginning, I will be with myself at the end. This, I have come to understand, forms a core part of my individualist philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment