13 August 2013

The Art of Dying

How we die is just as important as how we live. The course of life should be a wondrous journey, but it is a journey that has a terminus and this should be recognised. Death is something I do not think we talk as openly about as we should. It is an integral part of nature and is with and around us always. And I mean not to say that we should dwell on the finality of our existence; quite the opposite: All that we concern ourselves with regarding our day-to-day living will be the whole of what we look back on when the end eventually comes. Living should be the first and foremost focus of life; that goes without saying. But when the matters of living are no longer relevant, the matters of dying take precedence. And when it comes to the matters of dying, above all else I wish to die well. I understand this now that I am older. I will admit that when I was a child, death frightened me...to death, but now that I have accepted and understand the nature of things I make it my aim to die well and to die on my own terms (as much as circumstances would allow). I wish to leave no unfinished business behind. When I go, I want to go with no baggage. This is the Art of Dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment